Tuesday, February 1, 2011

How do you handle the "blahs"?

January and February are historically tough months for me. As much as I want to enjoy winter and all that comes with it, I have a hard time doing so. The short days and cold weather get to me, and I have a difficult time staying motivated. Over the last few days in particular I've been feeling exhausted and I know that it is because I'm not being as active as usual, and I've barely left the house in weeks.

I'm trying to keep my mind present for my kids and to be here for them as I know I need to be. Having us all together each day, everyday, makes it all the more important for me to not let myself get swallowed up by the winter blues that normally affect me at this time of year. I'm struggling, though, and I feel like might loose the battle at any given second.

A question for you, my (two?) dear readers: What do you do to stay motivated and not let your homeschooling or unschooling suffer when you are having "blah" days and weeks? Do you have any special things that you do for yourself or with your children?

3 comments:

  1. I'm asking myself the same question. As you know I was able to drive to see family in a warmer climate. I'm taking large doses of Vitamin D3 to cure my deficiency. Do you have a Vit D deficiency? Many people above the 40th parallel do... And here is a post with helpful comments, that helped me. :)

    http://wonderinthewoods.wordpress.com/2010/11/29/dark-weather-blahs/

    There was something else I was going to say but... ugh. OH! Just know that January is the time of year many homeschoolers question *everything.* Maybe that's why I started thinking of the charter school...but it doesn't hurt kids to have to think of something to do. Kelly learned to juggle during MN winters. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes, I do have a Vitamin D deficiency and I'm taking mega doses of Vit D prescribed by my doctor. I'm sure that is not helping!

    Thanks for the link, I'm checking it out now!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm Vit D deficient too. My winter months drag for me too. I try to get out as much as I can, even if it's just to the grocery store or the library. Otherwise I'd be content to hibernate!

    ReplyDelete